Corporate Affairs Director Adji Srihandoyo, PT Carrefour Indonesia. (Photo: YouTube/CIFORVideo/FIS)
Carrefour focuses on growth in eastern part of country
Thursday, April 26, 2012, 23:40 (GMT + 9)
PT Carrefour Indonesia wants to open between five and 10 new outlets in 2012 to buttress its expanding retail business in the country, according to Corporate Affairs Director Adji Srihandoyo.
“This year we will not only focus on expanding our network of stores in Java but also in eastern Indonesia,” Adji stated.
One of the latest outlets was opened in the Solo Paragon Mall, Surakarta, Central Java in January, such that the company has now opened 85 outlets since its entry into Indonesia in 1996. Only nine of these stores are located outside Java, The Jakarta Post reports.
Carrefour Indonesia Head of Public Affairs Satria Hamid said the firm is searching for new locations in Manado, Balikpapan, Pontianak and Banjarmasin and also plans to open a new store in Pekan Baru, Sumatera.
In 2010, 40 per cent of shares in Carrefour Indonesia were bought by the CT Corporation through Trans Ritel, which is owned by Chairul Tanjung. Tanjung is interested in acquiring the remaining 60 per cent of shares, which are owned by Carrefour SA (39 per cent), Carrefour Nederland BV (9.5 per cent) and Onesia BV (11.5 per cent).
As a part of its 2012 corporate social responsibility programme, Carrefour will cooperate with the Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises Ministry and seven universities in Indonesia, including the University of Indonesia, Airlangga University and Parahyangan University, to assist 100 cooperatives and SMEs in seven cities.
Satria said Carrefour France had so far invested USD 83,950 on a capacity-building programme of cooperatives and SMEs so they can produce better quality products.
“SMEs that join the programme and meet the criteria of Carrefour suppliers are welcome to join us. We would like to be the storehouse for SMEs; 70 per cent of our suppliers are SMEs and 95 per cent of our products are local,” Satria said.
Carrefour also cooperates with local farmers and fishers through its programme dubbed Carrefour Quality Line (CQL), which helps to distribute fresh commodities overseas.
“We meet with local farmers and fishermen and verify the excellence of their products such as apples, shrimp and salmon, so we can help them export to supply Carrefour stores overseas,” said Satria.
By Natalia Real