Senator Lisa Murokowski. (Photo Credit: www.murkowski.senate.gov)
US Senator devises steps to fight back against FDA's GE salmon approval
Thursday, November 26, 2015, 03:30 (GMT + 9)
After having expressed opposing views to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) approval of genetically engineered (GE) salmon for human consumption, US Senator Lisa Murkowski announced the next steps to fight back against the decision.
Senator Murkowski has long been adamantly opposed to the approval of GE salmon, introducing legislation and inserting a provision in the appropriations process to require compulsory labeling of “Frankenfish” – as this type of fish is called -- if ever approved for sale to consumers.
Murkowski plans to push back against the FDA’s decision by advancing her efforts for mandatory labelling and blocking confirmation in the Senate of the nominee to be FDA Commissioner.
“I will not stand back and just watch these genetically engineered creatures be placed in our kitchens and on our tables without a fight. I am furious about this decision, but now I must do everything I can to make sure it is labeled—consumers have a right to know what it is they are eating,” said Senator Murkowski.
“Genetically modifying salmon is messing with nature’s perfect brain food. The real thing is not only the safe choice, but it’s the best thing,” she claimed.
Senator Murkowski next steps of action include:
- The reintroduction of an updated version of her current legislation, S.738, to require further research into the risks and impacts of Frankenfish, and to address the more urgent need for mandatory labeling requirements.
- The continuation of the work through the appropriations process to build upon the language she was able to include in the FY16 Agriculture, Rural Development, and Food and Drug Administration spending bill.
- The blockage of the confirmation of Dr. Robert Califf, nominee to be the next FDA Commissioner, due to the lack of cooperation and communication from the FDA surrounding their announcement to approve GE salmon.
- Supporting retailers like Costco, Target, Safeway, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and all other grocery stores who are refusing to stock GE salmon.
- GM salmon approval raises suspicions among retailers
- FDA approves GM salmon for human consumption