Ministry of Production will chair APEC meetings in Russia. (Photo: apec.org)
Produce chairs APEC working group
Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 16:20 (GMT + 9)
The Ministry of Production (Produce) will take over the presidency of the Fisheries and Ocean Working Group of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum (APEC) for this year and for next one.
This implies that the Ministry will chair the meetings to be held within the framework of APEC in the city of Kazan, Russian Federation, since last Sunday until 3 June this year.
In February this year the Vice-Ministry Bureau of Fisheries had expressed APEC Secretariat its interest in chairing the Group and the proposal was accepted.
During the meetings of APEC Fisheries and Ocean important issues for the Forum will be discussed so as to make recommendations to the leaders to prioritize actions between 2012 and 2014.
It is expected it will contribute to fulfill the commitments made at Paracas Declaration and its Agenda for Action, including:
- Sustainable development and protection of the marine environment;
- Understanding of marine environments;
- Sustainable management;
- Reduction of marine waste sources;
- Collection of scientific management data on climate change;
- Promotion of liberalization and contribution to trade and investment;
- Contribution to food security;
- Support on cooperation among members.
The participation of the co-director of the support programme for artisanal fishing, aquaculture and sustainable management of the environment (Propesca) of the Vice-Ministerial Office of Fisheries, Daphne Kalen Su Pucheu, was authorised through that goal, Andina agency reports.
- Peru to hold bilateral meetings with key trading partners
Por Analia Murias