Potero working at night, in full light. (Photo: INIDEP)
Squid improves in first semester
Friday, September 15, 2017, 00:10 (GMT + 9)
A report of the Ministry of Agroindustry of the Nation presents the accumulated landings and exports of the first half of the year. The export figures are very positive, with growth of 12 and 15 per cent in volume and in dollars, being helpful to many officials as an example of growth; but in fact, when figures are analysed, it can be verified that the squid is the only resource that experienced considerable growth.
On the other hand, the catches of most species have increased, even those on which there are restrictive measures for their preservation; however, less hake was caught. This increase in catches, especially of squid and shrimp, has generated more activity in most ports.
Landings in July amount to 451,510 tonnes, representing a growth of 14.2 per cent over the same period of 2016, although they have not yet reached 2015 levels. 80 per cent of landings were made up of three species: squid with 96,555 tonnes; shrimp with 110,453 tonnes and hake hubbsi with 157,703 tonnes. The rest of the species contribute only the remaining 20 per cent, standing out in that margin the stingray and the hoki, blue whiting, corvina and weakfish.
In the statistical table of landings it appears as interesting data what happens with the hake of the stock of the Joint Technical Commission area, which grew by 117 per cent over 2016. The increase in catches by species that are supposedly protected, such as rays and golden kingklip, is also revealed. Corvina, meanwhile, which occupies a significant portion of this 20 per cent of the total, had a record of landings of 40 per cent lower than that of 2016.
A total of 110,453.3 tonnes of shrimp have been landed; 157,673 tonnes of hubbsi hake, with a substantial increase in activity in the Common Fisheries Area, lower than in 2016 when 161,977 tonnes were landed on the same date. Of squid, although it has not been caught since June, the total figure has been 96,555.3 tonnes.
Coastal shrimper fresh boat. Photo: Stockfile
Regarding the fleet behaviour, there is a growth of the fresh sector compared to 2016 and 2017, undoubtedly driven by the shrimp, which increased its catches by 40 per cent compared to last year. Freezers have remained stable over the past three years and coastal areas have been growing steadily between 2015 and 2017, also as a result of the shrimp. The beamers had in this the best of the last three years. On the other hand, jiggers improved a lot in 2016 but did not reach the levels of 2015. The estuary boats fall every day more and more and the surimero vessels, surprisingly, have shown growth with respect to the last two years.
Xin Shi Nr99 in Argentinean port . Photo histarmar.com.ar
Except for the port of Caleta Paula, the rest improved. Mar del Plata recorded landings of 225,398 tonnes; Puerto Madryn 56,263 tonnes; Puerto Deseado 47,963 tonnes; Rawson 36,264 tonnes, these last two ones being the most important marine terminals which increased their share of the catches, together with Camarones, which received 9,602 tonnes. Even Comodoro Rivadavia has been growing steadily, as well as San Antonio Oeste.
Capture of the jiggers in 2017
The Xin Shi Ji No. 95 has the first place with 2,234 tonnes; followed by the Xin Shi Dai No. 28 with 2,069 tonnes; the Villarino with 2,025 tonnes and then the podium is full with the Xin Shi Ji, belonging to the Fenix International Firm, No. 91 with 1,998 tonnes, No. 92 with 1,922 tonnes and No. 88 with 1,844 tonnes.
Source: Revista Puerto