The Action Platform for the Ocean is a three-year global programme. (Photo: SaveOurOcean)
Progress made to promote sustainable ocean business
Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 02:20 (GMT + 9)
After being launched last June, the Action Platform for Sustainable Ocean Business moves forward with a three year plan devised for its work on the role of the ocean in achieving United Nations' 17 sustainability goals, and with particular focus on SDG 14, Life below Water.
To this end, partners to the platforms and the Action Platform Secretariat will address each of the areas important for a comprehensive overview on the role of the oceans at a roundtable on Sustainable Ocean Business, taking place in New York during the regular session of the UN General Assembly and the UN Global Compact Leader Summit.
In this regard, Cermaq’s CEO Geir Molvik, who is attending the Platform meeting, pointed out that global ocean challenges cannot be solved without multi-stakeholder dialogue, between government, business, research institutions and civil society, stressing that the UN Global Compact is an excellent arena for this dialogue.
“Cermaq’s approach through many years has been to engage in collaboration to address material sustainability issues in our industry – the salmon industry - and value chain,” Molvik stressed.
The work of the Action Platform for Sustainable Ocean Business will address four key areas:
- Ocean business principles; business standards to promote and protect ocean health and productivity;
- Ocean framework; how regulations, enforcement and incentives support businesses to substantively impact the SDGs;
- Ocean Business cases; where and how can business make the most impact for sustainable oceans;
- Ocean opportunity; the opportunities available for businesses to substantively impact the SDGs.
Molvik recalled that the SDGs were integrated in Cermaq’s strategy in 2016 and the firm was the first company to join this Platform apart from being engaged in other partnerships as Global Salmon Initiative, SeaBOS and FReSH.
- Cermaq welcomes sustainable ocean action platform launch