The Nueva Pescanova Group has celebrated this afternoon, at its headquarters in Chapela (Pontevedra), the act of handover of the ship
The 'Ponta Macalonga', Nueva Pescanova's new ship for Mozambique
Friday, February 19, 2021, 09:00 (GMT + 9)
With 32 meters in length and capacity for 22 crew members, it has a cabin equipped for students, since the Nueva Pescanova Group is reinforcing maritime-fishing training in Mozambique in collaboration with the Public-Private Alliance for Development (APPD).
Vigo - The Nueva Pescanova Group celebrated this afternoon, at its headquarters in Chapela (Pontevedra), the delivery ceremony of the ship “Ponte Macalonga” and its blessing by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tui-Vigo, Luis Quinteiro.
The “Ponta Macalonga” is a 32 meter long freezer tangonero for shrimp fishing at Pescamar, its subsidiary in Mozambique. The ship has state-of-the-art equipment and highly energy-efficient engines. This gives the boat high performance, reduced consumption and emissions, as well as improvements in the on-board processing system and greater comfort for the crew.
Blessing by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tui-Vigo, Luis Quinteiro
The company has been a pioneer in the fishing sector worldwide in the use of virtual reality for the design of its new vessels. Thanks to this tool, it has been possible to visualize the entire boat in advance, which has achieved greater efficiency in its design.
The new boats that Grupo Nueva Pescanova is building for its subsidiaries in Namibia and Mozambique contribute to 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially those related to responsible production and consumption, innovation, promoting economic growth and employment, and the conservation and sustainable use of the oceans, seas and marine resources.
The new ship, with capacity for 22 crew members, also has a cabin set up for students. And it is that, in collaboration with the Public-Private Alliance for Development (APPD), the Nueva Pescanova Group has launched a program aimed at strengthening maritime-fishing training in Mozambique.
The ship had been launched on January 9 at Astilleros Armon
José María Benavent and Ignacio González, president and CEO of the Nueva Pescanova Group, respectively, participated in the ceremony of delivery and blessing. In the next few days, the Ponta Macalonga will depart for the port of Beira, where she will begin this year's Mozambique fishing campaign, which begins in early April.
TECHNICAL DATA SHEET PONTA MACALONGA:
- Base Port: Beira (Mozambique)
- Classification: Bureau Veritas
- Accommodation: capacity for 22 crew members (habitability conditions in compliance with ILO regulations)
- Virtual reality: Virtual reality has been used as a tool for the design and constant improvement of the ship during its construction.
- Efficiency: It incorporates state-of-the-art equipment and its electronic management allows high performance, reducing consumption and emissions. The balance between energy efficiency and good fishing has also been sought.
- Quality: Designed to obtain the highest quality in the processing, it has a By-Catch and waste separation area, product cooling system and washing machine with water and air. The machinery arranged for the propulsion and the ship's equipment are top-level brands worldwide.
- Safety: the deck machinery has been distributed in such a way that it speeds up and improves the lifting and launching maneuver, shortening the times, reducing the exposure of deck workers and increasing safety.